Whether you are looking to store items from your business or home, we have the sizes to fit all your self storage needs. Figuring out how much storage space you may need can be a challenge. Our on-site managers are here to help. Just give us a call at 510-440-1574 so we may assist you with in determining what size will best fit your needs. Our managers are an excellent resource that can an advise you on how to pack and store your items correctly for better access and to save you money. Below are some simple self storage tips to get you started.
CALL US WITH ANY QUESTIONS!
Preparing to Store Your Items
- The first step in preparing to store your stuff is to write down a list of items that you plan on storing. Bring this list with you to our facility prior to storing your items. This will give our managers a good sense of what size will work with what you have. The last thing you want to do is rent a unit too big.
- Figure out which items you plan on packing into boxes, as these will be stacked to save space.
- Box up as many items as you can since self storage units can get dusty.
- Clearly label all boxes on one side you so can identify the contents down the road.
- Tightly seal all your boxes with packing tape to prevent dust from entering.
- Wrap valuable furniture with protective bubble wrap and use plastic covers for mattresses.
Storing Items in Your Unit
- Your storage unit should be swept out and clean prior to renting, but for more protection, you can lay down a plastic sheet or even cardboard on the floor.
- Plan ahead of time and store items at the front of the unit which you may need to access more frequently.
- When packing items into your unit, be sure to leave a small walkway down the middle so you still have the ability to access items tucked away in the back.
- Unload the largest items first and place them towards the back of the unit. If you are storing furniture, see if you can break the furniture down into smaller pieces.
- Store large furniture vertical to save space. For example, you can store a sofa on its end, which will save a lot of space.
- Store items like cloths, pillows, bedding inside a dresser.
- Use trash cans to store things like hoes, rakes and shovels.
- Clean all appliances prior to storing them.
- Be sure to remove any water from hoses of washers, refrigerators and dishwashers.
- If you plan on storing a refrigerator, be sure it’s clean and dry. Leave the door slightly open to prevent mold from building inside.
- Any loose parts on appliances such as glass or fragile pieces should be wrapped with bubble wrap to prevent damage.
Do not store anything flammable or combustible. This includes gasoline, propane tanks, motor oil, grease, guns, ammunition, hazardous or toxic waste. If you have a questions regarding what you can and cannot store, please consult with our self storage manager before you store any questionable items. They can be reached at 510-440-1574 or CLICK HERE.